Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Black Friday .... !!

Well, a prelude to begin with. We (my wife and I) had tickes booked for the 10 30 pm show. But we had run some errands around the city the entire day and were dead tired by the time we reached home at 7 pm. Hadnt boozed for a while. So we dug deep into our coffers and got 180 ml of manna, more commonly called Vodka. 2 bottoms up each down the line, we were entrenched into oblivion. The movie had evaporated from our minds. Fortunately, we fell short of Chakna and I had to visit my wallet again and my fingers hit something shiny, white and smooth in texture. Those were the tickets. The time was 10 05 pm. The next thing we knew was that we were at Inox at 10 25 pm, well in time. But we had forgotten to change. I was still in my pyjamas while my wife was in her Bermudas. Of course we had clothes on top ... :). Im sure we were the laughing stock of the crowd. But kya karein .... hota hai.

So about the movie ... hhhhmmm. Goodish movie. Actually that would be an under exaggeration. It was quite good. The best I have seen in the last cycle of the year. Anurag Kashyap has had a problem with the release of his movies in the past. And I can see why.

For much of the movie, you feel as if you are seeing a documentary or a news channel. But it doesnt bore you. Rather, you get hooked onto the screen like stamp to a letter. The intrigue is generated from the fact that the blasts happened at a time when I was a kid, so I was double interested in the presentation of the movie. The maligning of Babri Masjid and the subsequent turmoil of the Muslims are the highlight. It again underlines the fact that India is perhaps the country where people fight within themselves more than against others.

Pavan Malhotra as Tiger Memon is sublime. He is calm throughout except when his office is burned down by some Hindus. Kay Kay stamps his authority with another elegant essay. He is great in the interrogation scenes. The bits and pieces actors also shine throughout the movie. There is actual footage from 1993 that stick out like a sore thumb on democracy.

To conclude, a movie worth a watch.

Cheers ... !!

No comments: